Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dr. Phil's Ultimate FAT Debate

(from photobucket.com)

Takia Harrow, one of our guest contributors, texted me Tuesday night to tell me Dr. Phil was doing a show about obesity. She urged me to DVR it. I missed Tuesday's episode, but the show carried so much controversy, it was split into two parts. I missed the first part, so I set my DVR Wednesday to see what Dr. Phil has to say about the subject of obesity.

Let me just say, I am not a fan of Dr. Phil. He really rubs me the wrong way. He has a pompous arrogant aura around him; like his shit don't stink. So to sit down and watch an hour of his show really was a big sacrifice for me.

The show was hosted by Dr. Phil and Kelly Osbourne. The show turned out to be a panel debate. There were two fat haters disguised as health professionals, fitness trainer Michael Karolchyk and Director of National Action Against Obesity, Meme Roth. Fitness trainer and Biggest Loser fame, Jillian Michaels, rounded out the panel of health experts. Speaking on behalf of plus size community were, Director of the National Advancement for Fat Acceptance, Peggy Howell, plus size comedienne, Erica Watson and author Marianne Kirby. Comedian John Pinette shared his plus sized humor and tidbits as well.

The show picked up where part two left off, childhood obesity. Both parties agreed that nutrition should be taught in the school and the food industry and government are pushing poor foods on today's youth. According to Roth, in the New York City school system, 40% of the children are obese. Seventy percent of obese children will go on to become obese adults. All agreed the faux positive images presented by commercials and other advertisements coerce children and parents to make poor choices.

After all the guest agreed on that subject, things took a turn for the worse. Karolchyk told the audience there was no such thing as a healthy overweight person; and finding one would be like finding Sasquatch. "Everyone says he's real but no one can ever find him," Karolchyk said. Funny when I was a size 14/16, (the size I am trying to get back to.) I was in impeccable health. I could run a marathon. It is possible to be healthy and still be thick.

Karolchyk also said that U.S. Attorney General Regina Benjamin was too fat to hold such a title. Benjamin is only a size 18. The fitness trainer claims at her size she is not a good role model for our country. Erica Watson asked the trainer what size should the attorney general be. She got no answer.

Trainer Jillian Michaels spoke on how it takes hard work to lose weight and even nodded when Kelly Osbourne said there is no "magic pill". I find that hilarious considering Michaels' face is posted on numerous diet supplements and pills for endorsements. In fact, she has multiple lawsuits against her for false claims.

The only thing I did agree with Michaels on was the amount of hatred from the skinny community toward people of size; and boy was she right! There was so much hatred oozing from that show that it made me sick just to watch it. Everytime someone of size, on and off the panel, voiced something, there views were dismissed.

The show was not a success at all. It was just a lot of mudslinging. Nothing was solved...no one changed their point of view. What people need to realize is that if you want to lose weight...lose weight and do it in a healthy manner. If you want to stay your size...stay your size. No one should force their views and opinions on anyone else. Make sure you are healthy.

Osbourne wrapped it up perfectly, "You have to be happy with you."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your post. Please be respectful of myself and other readers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails